Protein powder

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Asdshadow

Protein powder

Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:44 pm

Is protein powder safe for ants to eat? Where I live it is difficult to keep animals to feed my ants. So I am thinking if I can use protein powder as a substitute for when I cannot catch insects to feed my trap jaw ant queen. She has no workers as yet by the way. She has just started laying eggs.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Protein powder

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:49 pm

Asdshadow wrote:
Is protein powder safe for ants to eat? Where I live it is difficult to keep animals to feed my ants. So I am thinking if I can use protein powder as a substitute for when I cannot catch insects to feed my trap jaw ant queen. She has no workers as yet by the way. She has just started laying eggs.
iWork’s try scrambled eggs, my Odonotmachus love them.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 am

Protein powder is bitter so ants may not eat it. Try mixing it with hiney or something sweet to see if it works. And yes you can give them eggs. Mine love hard boiled but try with sof boiled eggs and see if they like it
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:54 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 am
Protein powder is bitter so ants may not eat it. Try mixing it with hiney or something sweet to see if it works. And yes you can give them eggs. Mine love hard boiled but try with sof boiled eggs and see if they like it
Odonotmachus don’t eat honey,and even as mature colonies they usually only eat protein. Protein jelly also works for the queens and small colonies.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 am

Asdshadow wrote:
Do you have a fridge? If yes, you can buy meal worms at a pet store or fishing store and put them in there. I keep a small stock of meal worms and they just hibernate all year with no big problems.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.