Want to keep Camponotus Festinatus. How do I care for them?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AwesomestDude

Want to keep Camponotus Festinatus. How do I care for them?

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:26 pm

I want to get started in ant keeping, but I'm not quite sure how to care for ants. Like, I've read the caring for ants FAQ thing, but I'm still kind of confused. Like, how do I keep the nest moist? And in the test tube setup, does the cotton ever dry out? It just seems like a lot of stuff, and what I've looked at so far hasn't made it entirely clear. One thing I can't find at all though, is how often do I feed my ants when I get them? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Want to keep Camponotus Festinatus. How do I care for them

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:00 pm

AwesomestDude wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:26 pm
I want to get started in ant keeping, but I'm not quite sure how to care for ants. Like, I've read the caring for ants FAQ thing, but I'm still kind of confused. Like, how do I keep the nest moist? And in the test tube setup, does the cotton ever dry out? It just seems like a lot of stuff, and what I've looked at so far hasn't made it entirely clear. One thing I can't find at all though, is how often do I feed my ants when I get them? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
I am going to be very clear and to the point here
No, the Cotten will not dry out as long as it is not too tight and that their is still water behind it.

You keep a nest moist(not test tube) by filling the indicated water reserve, with aus ants it is a hole in the top, Tar Heel ants it is a port in the side, and with AC it is a tray in the bottom.

With Camponotus, you should give them a test tube setup(always) and I water my nest once every two weeks. You don’t wanted any condensation with Camponotus, and they may grow faster with slight heating.

How often you feed them varies. If the workers no longer have food in their gaster, which looks expanded with tan lines inbetween
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AwesomestDude

Re: Want to keep Camponotus Festinatus. How do I care for them?

Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:48 pm

then how much do i feed them?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Want to keep Camponotus Festinatus. How do I care for them?

Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:49 pm

AwesomestDude wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:48 pm
then how much do i feed them?
Feed them something the size of two fruit flies every day, or a mealworm every 3.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…