I need my ants to move testtube during hybernation

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Murkla

Re: I need my ants to move testtube during hybernation

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:18 am

They where pretty stressed at the time from the trip to my place. I got them about 2 weeks ago.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:06 am

Murkla wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:13 pm
https://imgur.com/gallery/H925iMJ

As you can see there's not much water....
Looks okay to me. It's a massiv piece of cotton storing the water so I don't think that they will die of thirst this fast. I would say just leave them for now and check on them every 2 weeks. Keep track of how much water is exiting and if in the event that the cotton would dry out, just use a syringe to moisture the cotton again.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:09 am

Murkla wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:23 pm
Thanks for your answer! Also I have no idea if they where properly fed before I got them. So you think it's a good idea to pop in some food as well?
They should be fine. Just wait for the end of their hibernation and then pop in a droplet of honey. That should give them enough food for the end of their hibernation.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Murkla

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm

Thank you for your answers people! Truly appreciated. I feel a lot calmer know. I've tucked them away and won't visit them until after two weeks. I'll post here again when it's time to let you know how they are doing!

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:15 pm

Murkla wrote:
Thank you for your answers people! Truly appreciated. I feel a lot calmer know. I've tucked them away and won't visit them until after two weeks. I'll post here again when it's time to let you know how they are doing!
I’ll look forward to the update! :D
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:03 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:15 pm
Murkla wrote:
I’ll look forward to the update! :D
im stoked :D
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

Murkla

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:43 pm

Update time!
They... Are alive!! :D

But the water was now completely gone so I took a pipette and moistened the cotton a bit. Antsluxemburg suggested that I use a syringe, but I don't have one. I, of course, didn't want to flood their setup so I didn't give them too much water. Don't know if that will do for another two weeks but we will see... at least I know they are alive and seemed well.
I spotted a very mature pupa so that's fun! They were pretty active but then that's probably because I gave them attention. Hopefully, they can go back to hibernation and I'll pop in again after another two weeks.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:10 am

Murkla wrote:
Update time!

But the water was now completely gone so I took a pipette and moistened the cotton a bit. Antsluxemburg suggested that I use a syringe, but I don't have one. I, of course, didn't want to flood their setup so I didn't give them too much water. Don't know if that will do for another two weeks but we will see... at least I know they are alive and seemed well.
I spotted a very mature pupa so that's fun! They were pretty active but then that's probably because I gave them attention. Hopefully, they can go back to hibernation and I'll pop in again after another two weeks.
Pupae is good, as if any ants die in hibernation you have backups
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:10 am
Murkla wrote:
Update time!

Pupae is good, as if any ants die in hibernation you have backups
yes. pupae will probably survive
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)