Lasius Neoniger refusing all proteins I’ve given! Help!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

WildFreeAcademy

Lasius Neoniger refusing all proteins I’ve given! Help!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:06 am

I need advice on proteins I should give my lasius neoniger colony. Have like 10-12 workers or so, tried mealworms, and crickets. I was told you have to remove the guts of the mealworms and super worms so their mandibles don’t get stuck shut from how sticky the guts get. Idk what to do what should I try to feed them? Protein wise that is cuz I give them honey every two days or so and they love it! They are still in a test tube but hooked up to a halo nest from myantics for feedings etc.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Lasius Neoniger refusing all proteins I’ve given! Help!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:11 am

WildFreeAcademy wrote:
I need advice on proteins I should give my lasius neoniger colony. Have like 10-12 workers or so, tried mealworms, and crickets. I was told you have to remove the guts of the mealworms and super worms so their mandibles don’t get stuck shut from how sticky the guts get. Idk what to do what should I try to feed them? Protein wise that is cuz I give them honey every two days or so and they love it! They are still in a test tube but hooked up to a halo nest from myantics for feedings etc.
Try protein jelly, eggs, and you could try table food(last resort). Most of my ants will accept protein jelly repetitively and my invicta will accept eggs.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:12 am

WildFreeAcademy wrote:
You could also try aphids on plants, but that isn’t a great source of protein.

WildFreeAcademy

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WildFreeAcademy wrote:
Try protein jelly, eggs, and you could try table food(last resort). Most of my ants will accept protein jelly repetitively and my invicta will accept eggs.
Where can I order protein jellies? I’ve seen them on videos but can’t find where to order them online as I’ve not found them locally

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:28 am

WildFreeAcademy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WildFreeAcademy wrote:
Where can I order protein jellies? I’ve seen them on videos but can’t find where to order them online as I’ve not found them locally
I order mine from ant keeping depot, but it takes a little bit of time to arrive.
( a long time )
Also, I Think beetle jelly might work, and the stuff in the link also might work.

https://www.chewy.com/komodo-jelly-pots-fruit-40-count-pdq/dp/242757?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Komodo&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjY3vtYy59QIVByCGCh2uuwiGEAQYASABEgJdnfD_BwE

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:28 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WildFreeAcademy wrote:
Mmm. They will probably NEVER eat the aphids because they are good honeydew source
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:10 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WildFreeAcademy wrote:
Mmm. They will probably NEVER eat the aphids because they are good honeydew source
Fire ants will actually build shelters for aphids… Niger would likely “farm” them

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:59 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Fire ants will actually build shelters for aphids… Niger would likely “farm” them
lol
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

lol
They literally drug aphids. It is something to do with pheromones and clipping the wings.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

lol
They literally drug aphids. It is something to do with pheromones and clipping the wings.
Mine try feeding the aphid (wow, so greedy) but obviously they can't eat protein. I once saw an ant trying to pull an aphid to somewhere safer but the aphid just flew away.
keeping: