ants not moving?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

KorSolidarity

ants not moving?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 pm

hi i bought an omni nest from here and have some local ants (camponotus atrox), as seen in the picture.
have about 150 workers.

I connected a tube in order to get them to move, for about 30 hours now, with no sign of them trying to move out...
at first i thought of taking out a whole tube where the nest is into the omni-nest outworld, but then i thought it'll be better to ask first.

question: would they move like that? ...or is current nest just too good for them to move out. if so, any advice on making them to move out?

Serafine

Re: ants not moving?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Is the omni nest properly hydrated? Is the tubing large enough for the ants to pass?

Patience. They will move out when they're ready - which can take some time.
Don't force them, you'd do more harm then good. Maybe the colony just isn't large enough yet.

KorSolidarity

Re: ants not moving?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:47 pm

hydration : well i added water in both hydration chamber. one side put too much had to suck some out with cotton. maybe this could be a problem - dont really know how much i need to hydrate.
tube was ok, saw elites passing through.
guess i'll wait and see for few more days and then give up on moving for awhile.