Two queens one keeps laying males how do i tell them apart and how do i separate them?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

InsaneWind

Two queens one keeps laying males how do i tell them apart and how do i separate them?

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:03 am

Hello everyone i Just recently got into ant keeping by accident when i got a free game table that happened to have a couple queen ants with brood and 6 workers. At the time i did not know that i had multiple queens because i was more focused on trying to make sure i captured them as carefully as possible and they kept trying to hide back in the score slider of the game table.

Since i now for a fact know i have two queens one that is unfertilized due to finding males in the tube (3 at this point) and the workers are using a lot of energy to keep them off the brood and pull off their wings, upto 3 workers will do this to a single male ant. I would like to take the queen that is not producing workers and separate her out but how do i know which queen ant it is?

If it helps i live in Florida and these are Carpenter ants (i believe based on everything i looked up)

Antloverhuman

Re: Two queens one keeps laying males how do i tell them apart and how do i separate them?

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:27 am

Taking that you have kept your queens in a test tube setup, try attaching another test tube to their current one. The male egg laying queen might get rejected from the colony and shift in the other test tube. It is not really possible to just grab the queen which is not laying worker eggs so in the meantime i would suggest you feed them more
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

InsaneWind

Re: Two queens one keeps laying males how do i tell them apart and how do i separate them?

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:27 am
Taking that you have kept your queens in a test tube setup, try attaching another test tube to their current one. The male egg laying queen might get rejected from the colony and shift in the other test tube. It is not really possible to just grab the queen which is not laying worker eggs so in the meantime i would suggest you feed them more
Alright thank you, i am currently waiting for stuff to arrive from AntsCanada so that i can do that. I was just hoping that there would be a easy way to figure out which queen it is doing this. Once my stuff comes in i will setup the new test tube in hopes the queen splits off.

Antloverhuman

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:00 pm

You cant really check if the queen is mated or not. Especially if you have two of them in the same area. It could be that the non mated queen has wings but the mated one does not. But sometimes mated queen dont remove the wings and unmated queens remove their wing :roll:
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony