Ant's putting bodies in the formicarium

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntsMclama

Ant's putting bodies in the formicarium

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm

(question at the bold down below)
I have a wild Tapinoma sessile colony that has been with me for about 4 weeks now, ranging maybe 100-150 workers (complete guess) and i think i have counted 3 or 4 queens recently.
They used to live in just a couple test tubes in a outworld with 18 inch tubing connected to a test tube also. They used to forage around with about 1-5 workers always. (nowadays the same, but more frequently consistent)
I introduced a formicarium 8 days ago, this one here.
It has 2 connections opposite sides. Each with a 3 inch 1/4ID tube.

Since i introduced the formicarium, about 90% of the ants moved into the 18 inch tubing. And the rest with a single queen moved into the 3 inch connection tube at the other side of the formicarium, Held off by a cotton ball.
Now when i first introduced it they were always wandering around in the formicarium which i have a cover for that i peek in the morning, night, and sometimes durring the day. I did hydrate the formicarium the whole day before introducing the ants. And since then I've trying to find just how much water i should be giving it every day, Starting to look like around 70ml.

They are very active in the tubing, Always moving and going back and forth throughout the tubing. They don't appear to be interested in hibernating right now.

But as of a few days ago they introduced some dead ants into the formicarium. Around the same time I've started to see 2-6 ants always hanging out in here when i peek also.
But this morning i realized that 2 of the dead ants appear to be "molding". Inside the formicarium of which i was hoping they would eventually move into... What should i do?

My first conclusion is that the Tapinoma Sessile species likes very tight species. I found them in cardboard/leaves next to my recycling bin.

Serafine

Re: Ant's putting bodies in the formicarium

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm

Sometimes ants drop waste into specific locations to create a flow of air as part of the nest climate control. In some videos it is mentioned that this is a very common behavior for smaller colonies in AC omni nests, so these ants may try something similar.

Maybe you could offer them some sand and small pebbles so they can build walls and modify the nest to their needs.

AntsMclama

Re: Ant's putting bodies in the formicarium

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:15 pm

Thx for the info. The outworld has dry sand in it and they could use that to build, but its through the 18 inch tubing. I have noticed about 5 different spots of waste disposal inside the tubing though which some grains of sand they have put in with the pile.