Baby powder + alcohol and New Nest

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Baby powder + alcohol and New Nest

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Hello, I made a nest today(photos) but I'm wondering about the barrier. I placed baby powder + alcohol in a recipient with around 10 selonopsis workers( the same sp. that will place in the nest ) and they seem to cant go through, but some died all covered in baby powder. I wanted to know how long the barrier will last until I have to replace and if the nest is ok for a very small selonopsis queen to start her colony. Thanks.

Image]

Firestar987654321

Re: Baby powder + alcohol and New Nest

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 am

It will be best if you have around 20-50 workers in a test tube set up and then transfer the colony into that nest. As for the baby powder barrier, I don't know how long it will last. :) Hope this helped

Serafine

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 am

Test tubes are always better for young colonies than any nest of any kind because a test tube offers more stable conditions.
Also baby powder is a bad barrier because if not applied correctly some of your ants will die due to it. Better use Fluon.

Batspiderfish

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:59 am

There should not be any talcum on the floor of the container if it is applied properly. I find that ants only get coated in the stuff when I've applied too much, and pieces of it break off and fall to the floor of the arena. It is a good barrier after you learn to apply it effectively.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.