Hibernating early?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Theantguy13

Hibernating early?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:20 am

I have a bit of a problem, first of all I have no steady flow of income as in only 13. But I have just about 14 fertile queens. If any of these make it through the founding stage, im in trouble. I don't get money until Christmas and even then the most I can get is 3 or 4 "all you need" omni nest kits.

That is definetly not enough for 14 queens(non polygenous). One thing I can do is try to hibernate them early, as this will give me time to get some $$ (allowance, lawn mowing, etc.) but there are two problems.

1. I don't know if this is possible when it is only fall. 2. I don't know how to do it.

Can anyone fix these problems.

In case you needed to know the average temp over the fall here is anywhere between 75 to 40 F

idahoantgirl

Re: Hibernating early?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am

Theantguy13 wrote:I have a bit of a problem, first of all I have no steady flow of income as in only 13. But I have just about 14 fertile queens. If any of these make it through the founding stage, im in trouble. I don't get money until Christmas and even then the most I can get is 3 or 4 "all you need" omni nest kits.

That is definetly not enough for 14 queens(non polygenous). One thing I can do is try to hibernate them early, as this will give me time to get some $$ (allowance, lawn mowing, etc.) but there are two problems.

1. I don't know if this is possible when it is only fall. 2. I don't know how to do it.

Can anyone fix these problems.

In case you needed to know the average temp over the fall here is anywhere between 75 to 40 F
I would release many of your queens. having fourteen colonies when your a young beginner can be very poor judgement. at the founding stage, it's fine since they require very little food, but when they are big, you not only have to deal with getting them a nest, but also feeding, maintnence, and figuring out what to do with them all when you go on vacation. it would be much too big of a job for someone that has to balance between school, life, and this hobby. I would keep all of them ( or release a few) until they all have workers. That way you can pick the 1 or 2 most likely to survive colonies from the batch to keep and raise. the rest you can release. depending upon how you feel about stealing from the other colonies, you can take some of the brood from the colonies that you are releasing and give it to one of your chosen colonies to help them out. just make sure that it is the same species, or they will reject the brood. But yeah, as a beginner I would go with two colonies at the very most and then if you feel like expanding later you can.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Theantguy13

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:17 pm

What about if I sell some on GAN?

Martialis

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Theantguy13 wrote:What about if I sell some on GAN?
That works! :)
Keeper of

Selliing: