Beginner questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Gerry42

Beginner questions

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:41 am

Hey new friends!

I have always been interested in having a colony since I was a kid. However I was uncomfortable knowing the kits they sold back then would end up killing the ants, as they weren't a proper setup, it was all a gimmick.

Now that there is so much info available, and we are able to properly care for them I'd like to ask some things to see if I might be able to keep some while keeping them happy, and healthy while under my care and abilities.

Is it possible to have a colony that is thriving and healthy and not be a giant colony in numbers? I live in an apt and don't have much room.

If that is possible, which species would be recommended for a beginner living in Southern Ontario?

SYUTEO

Re: Beginner questions

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Camponotus would be good because they are slow growing ants and the colony size is easy to manage.