Fruit flies - How to catch?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Re: Fruit flies - How to catch?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Great

GriffinAnt

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:27 am

you can order flightless fruitfly online

MimzytheBun

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 am

Batspiderfish wrote:If you make a fruit fly grow medium (as can be found online), you can leave it outside and fruit flies will come to you. The wild ones have wings, so are kind of inconvenient to culture.
I've personally found the easiest way to capture live winged ones from a trap is to use a fine mist water spray bottle. Misting the flies with a few squirts wets their wings to the point most can't fly, and they are much easier to scoop up this way. Just make sure you use clean water only, gotta think about those ants :)

Batspiderfish

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:22 am

MimzytheBun wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:If you make a fruit fly grow medium (as can be found online), you can leave it outside and fruit flies will come to you. The wild ones have wings, so are kind of inconvenient to culture.
I've personally found the easiest way to capture live winged ones from a trap is to use a fine mist water spray bottle. Misting the flies with a few squirts wets their wings to the point most can't fly, and they are much easier to scoop up this way. Just make sure you use clean water only, gotta think about those ants :)
Nice tip! :D

When I was starting out, I had a wild Drosophila culture. I only created a point where I could attach an empty test-tube to the container, and it was easy to coax some of the flies into the tube and throw them into the freezer.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.