Test tube phase and I got mold!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Packtramp

Test tube phase and I got mold!

Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Any help would be appreciated. Back in April or May I caught a carpenter ant and put her in a test tube. I noticed a small bit of mold and using the directions I found on YouTube with a light she moved into a new test tube. The month or so later some of the eggs hatched and I had four happy workers. A few weeks ago, maybe three or four everything was looking good, and then yesterday I checked in on them again as I try to leave them alone most all the time and it looks like lots of mold happened in no time and killed all the workers. The queen is still alive and I transferred her to a new test tube. Any thoughts on what I should do? Was she start over? Should I give her a small bit of food? Etc.

SYUTEO

Re: Test tube phase and I got mold!

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 pm

You should feed her some food. Feed her honey/sugar water and protein like insects.