New to ants

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Laurberg4

New to ants

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi,
Im new to ants and is about to start my first colony.
I just wanna make sure everything is okay, since I dont want my ants to die (ofc.)

I'm about to buy a ANTCUBE Starter Kit S - 20x20 - combi from ANTSTORE (its a german website and im from Denmark).

Im not 100% sure what kinda of ant to buy yet, but im thinking of Lasius niger (1 queen and 11-25 workers) or Camponotus herculeanus (1 queen and 1-5 workers). Because im thinking of those too is because I've read they are common in Denmark and im afriad other species of ants are illeage to transport over border from Germany to Denmark.

Can anyone help me with my concerns? Is it an okay starter kit for ants I wanna buy? Is it a good ant species to start with and is it illegale to transport those or others?

SYUTEO

Re: New to ants

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 pm

I heard it's legal to ship ants in Europe but the ants can die of stress if shipped from another country. If you're afraid the ants are going to die in some way then I would suggest you to look at the GAN project (Global Ant Nursery) at AntsCanada.com. Just click Queen ants for sale and it will take you there. Or you can just catch one yourself.

Laurberg4

Re: New to ants

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 pm
I heard it's legal to ship ants in Europe but the ants can die of stress if shipped from another country. If you're afraid the ants are going to die in some way then I would suggest you to look at the GAN project (Global Ant Nursery) at AntsCanada.com. Just click Queen ants for sale and it will take you there. Or you can just catch one yourself.
Thanks I will check it out, but I live in Denmark (small EU country), so im not sure if there is any sellers in my area. Btw. is it too late for me to start a colony since its July and almost winter, im afriad the queen wont lay any eggs the nest 6 months and if she won't I would not have enough ants for them to move in in their new spot.