New Desert Terrarium for Camponotus laevigatus

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ljgusky

New Desert Terrarium for Camponotus laevigatus

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:59 pm

I need help with making a terrarium ready for the Camponotus laevigatus I am looking to purchase. The tank is 10x20 as the base and 12 inches tall. Has 2 lights im going to replace with fluorescent bulbs so the desert cacti and other small plants I put in there will be healthy.. anything else I need to be aware of for these ants? I have a swamp cooler to cool my house, so will the humidity cause the ants to die? If so I have a patio that would work perfect but I wanted to keep them in my living room if I can. I have a few other questions as well…

Antloverhuman

Re: New Desert Terrarium for Camponotus laevigatus

Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:02 am

I don't know anything about the habitat c. laevigatus live in so thats all your knowledge. But from your plan im guessing they live in a dry desert like places, in which case yes the swamp cooler will cause a major problem and could kill your ants
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Antlover41157

Re: New Desert Terrarium for Camponotus laevigatus

Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:19 pm

Ljgusky wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:59 pm
I need help with making a terrarium ready for the Camponotus laevigatus I am looking to purchase. The tank is 10x20 as the base and 12 inches tall. Has 2 lights im going to replace with fluorescent bulbs so the desert cacti and other small plants I put in there will be healthy.. anything else I need to be aware of for these ants? I have a swamp cooler to cool my house, so will the humidity cause the ants to die? If so I have a patio that would work perfect but I wanted to keep them in my living room if I can. I have a few other questions as well…
I think laevigatus nests in wood, also they're nocturnal but that dosen't mean that much in camtivity.