New to ant keeping help with next step

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

SickTrick

New to ant keeping help with next step

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 am

Hello all got into ant keeping because my 7 year old loves AntsCanada. Figured I could try and catch a few queens. After they established workers either sell them or release them. Not quite ready for a full on colony. Problem is I think the first queens we caught are Solenopsis invicta. I live in North Carolina and am not sure if I can sell them through the GAN project. Can anyone give me advice on what to do next?

Thanks.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: New to ant keeping help with next step

Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:53 am

SickTrick wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 am
Hello all got into ant keeping because my 7 year old loves AntsCanada. Figured I could try and catch a few queens. After they established workers either sell them or release them. Not quite ready for a full on colony. Problem is I think the first queens we caught are Solenopsis invicta. I live in North Carolina and am not sure if I can sell them through the GAN project. Can anyone give me advice on what to do next?

Thanks.
I don't know if you can sell them through the GAN Project, but you can always ask the GAN Project Team if you are allowed to sell them even if they are invasive or see if other GAN Farmers already offer some. For your 7 year old, I would say you could try with a native antspecies that isn't very harmful or hard to keep. He/She might love to learn and it will also be a good test to see if your kid is capable of take some responsibility in case the kid wants a puppy. ;D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntLuvForever

Re: New to ant keeping help with next step

Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes. Also try choosing one which have a less painful sting or no sting at all. Tetramoruim ants are easy to raise and also reproduces VERY quickly after the early stages. Carpenter ants are also very easy to keep but they are very slow to grow and try not to imagine the nightmare of them loose in your house. Lasius, Pheidole, and Acrobat Ants. are super easy to keep. (Though I haven’t kept Pheidole as they dont live in michigan :cry: ) DO NOT TRY ARGENTINE ANTS AS THEY ARE A INVASIVE SPECIES. Also try to steer clear of ants that are escape artists as they can quickly spread around your house (examples would be ghost ants and Pharaoh Ants. Anyone watching AntsCanada would know :? :? ).

Hope this is helpful!

P.S. AntsLuxembourg, what happened to your YT channel? I cant find it :|
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion