Capturing a colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TDHWill

Capturing a colony

Wed May 12, 2021 6:12 am

Hello!

I am based in the UK, and recently have discovered a lasius niger nest is under our concrete floor in the kitchen, because of where it is located we have no access, we're hoping to preferably get the queen to relocate, and we have made another nest and put this near by, and the workers are all over it, we have been advised that should this be suitable they will relocate the queen and any brood after a few days, but I was curious if there was anything I could do to "persuade" the queen to leave the current nest.

Even if we have to go down the unfortunate route of euthanizing the colony, this would still prove very difficult as the nest is under a concrete floor and we have no access.

It would appear they have found a gap between our kitchen concrete underfloor and hall floorboards to nest under the concrete side in the kitchen

AM1C39

Re: Capturing a colony

Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 am

The lemon with water technique would be the best to get a colony out of your house: https://youtu.be/kL6RdY8iBNE.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antnerd
Location: New Hampshire, USA, North America, earth, our solar system, the Milky Way.

Re: Capturing a colony

Wed May 12, 2021 8:47 am

Just make sure it’s the main nest I had some trouble with that and I ended up watering down every nest in a 1 meter radius from the first one there were so many!
I know things