Not urgent but need help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Beandon

Not urgent but need help

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Hello,

I am new to ant keeping, and I do not know what equipment is best for beginners like me. I have browsed the store and added a few things to my cart, but I still don't know what is best for an ant colony. I am waiting to catch a queen during a nuptial flight or buy a queen. and my preferred species is carpenter ants. I read that they are good for beginners because they are easy to take care of. I have done some research, and I'm not jumping into this blind. Still, I would like your input, if you have any. And please tell me if there is a better species for me, or recommending anything to me. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jager89

Re: Not urgent but need help

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Beandon wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm
Hello,

I am new to ant keeping, and I do not know what equipment is best for beginners like me. I have browsed the store and added a few things to my cart, but I still don't know what is best for an ant colony. I am waiting to catch a queen during a nuptial flight or buy a queen. and my preferred species is carpenter ants. I read that they are good for beginners because they are easy to take care of. I have done some research, and I'm not jumping into this blind. Still, I would like your input, if you have any. And please tell me if there is a better species for me, or recommending anything to me. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
I am a fellow beginner, I bought the AC "all you need" starter kit for the species i was after, along with a Biome kit to seal and decorate the outworld for when my queen and future colony are ready to go from test tube to formicarium and outworld. I would also recommend having tweezers/forceps some ByFormica Sunburst ant nectar if you want to use something other than honey an sugar water, along with their gravity feeder if you worried about them drowning. And depending on your species you might want a heating cable (if you're like me and cannot survive in the summer without AC i would recommend it if you have centralized AC lol that is also why i went after a species more capable of thriving in colder temps). I also bought a flightless fruitfly culture kit for protein, because where i live pet stores don't sell live feeder insects.

AM1C39

Re: Not urgent but need help

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Carpenter ants are definitely my favorite, this should tell you why: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=73275#p73275
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]