Trying to get my First colony Florida

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Xavierw1028

Trying to get my First colony Florida

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:30 am

Hey I posted in the GANs program as well but I'm a new guy trying to get his first colony going I live in Lakeland so if anyone is close by and selling queens that are easier to take care of please let me know :D

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Trying to get my First colony Florida

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Xavierw1028 wrote:
Hey I posted in the GANs program as well but I'm a new guy trying to get his first colony going I live in Lakeland so if anyone is close by and selling queens that are easier to take care of please let me know :D
Hey!

I am near you, so I will PM you when flights occur. Lakeland, being highly urbanized, usually has loads of fire ant queens which fly almost year round. GAN farmers are inactive and there is none near you, or me. You can try catching queens, I suggest looking for queens at out sunset, when wind is less than 3mph, temperature is above 75 F and when humidity is 70-90. My first colony came from a seller in northern Florida who shipped them to me(I made sure they weren’t stressed and were shipped properly). If you do something like that, make sure you can find them in your area. Also, I would not recommend trap jaw ants for beginners. They take long times for development, and only accept live prey or dead crickets. Also, I suggest not using red light for ants, as most my ants can see red light, and when I tested red light on a new fire ant queen(Didn’t pick up move kept in dark) she died after having eggs. Not common… if you want to ship ants to you Because you can’t seem to find any, I would suggest a company like Tarheel ants or asking around on formiculture(Don’t but from anybody like Floridaannnntttzz). Tarheal ants can be quite pricy, but I guess that’s the cost due to the lack of GAN farmers…

Good luck.

Ps. Tomorrow might be a good night, and so will a few of the nights this week. Disregard wind, as is usually isn’t very accurate.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

crackwerX

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:38 pm

Xavierw1028 wrote:
I live just north of Daytona and just caught 6 winged queens. As soon as I figure out what they are and if they lay eggs, I'd be happy to give you one if you're still having trouble finding them. I collected all of mine from an orb light in my front yard around 11pm the last 2 nights. Didn't find anything tonight. I also bought a carpenter queen with eggs from MyAntics. They were pricy but they arrived fast, in good condition, and so far 2 have hatched to accompany the queen and 1 worker that arrived. Good option if you have $100+ burning a hole in your pocket.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:22 am

crackwerX wrote:
Xavierw1028 wrote:
I live just north of Daytona and just caught 6 winged queens. As soon as I figure out what they are and if they lay eggs, I'd be happy to give you one if you're still having trouble finding them. I collected all of mine from an orb light in my front yard around 11pm the last 2 nights. Didn't find anything tonight. I also bought a carpenter queen with eggs from MyAntics. They were pricy but they arrived fast, in good condition, and so far 2 have hatched to accompany the queen and 1 worker that arrived. Good option if you have $100+ burning a hole in your pocket.
TAR heel ants is cheaper and has 10 workers…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

crackwerX

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:04 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:22 am
crackwerX wrote:
Xavierw1028 wrote:
TAR heel ants is cheaper and has 10 workers…
Ok. There's another option dot dot dot