JOURNEY WITH ANTS #1

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Joaofdurao

JOURNEY WITH ANTS #1

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Hey guys, my name is João Felipe, I'm from Brazil and I'm here to post some time to time, about my first experience as an Ant Keeper.
Also I would like to interact with brazilians Ant keepers to make a bigger comunnity. If you are from any state of Brazil, might contact
me in private so we can talk.

So that history started about two weeks ago in Paraíba, Brazil.
I learned about ants in 2018, and never could find a queen ant to start my own colony.
Almost 3 years have passed an only now I could see a nuptial flight.

I didn't lost time, bought some tubes and went for a hunt.
I saw many ants flying and while walking I always looked to the ground (People might've though I'm crazy).
At the end of the week I had more than 20 queens. Unfortunately all my Attas sp died and now I'm keeping just 17 queens from 4 diferent species.
CHECK SOME PHOTOS OF THEM ON THE LINK BELOW:
https://imgur.com/a/9E592KN
I've 3x #01, 1x #02, 9x #03 and 4x #04.

And if you want to help me identify those species click on the link below and give your opinion on my new topic "HELP QUEEN ID":
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19805

I'm almost sure that Queens #01, #02 and #03 are Camponotus sp, in particular I think queen #03 is "Camponotus aeneopilosus".

About queen #04, I don't know her specie yet, but due to my research I think it's from genus Dinoponera, actually I'm starting to think that they are not even queens.

This week i'm happy because we already have many eggs. I'll be posting atualizations.
I'll be posting atualizations soon, if you guys want to help me on this journey I'll be very grateful. o/

Antloverhuman

Re: JOURNEY WITH ANTS #1

Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:17 am

Looking forward to the updates. Also i think #1 is camponotus vittatus
And #4 is 80% queen because of the size of her thorax
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony