Need Soil Advice!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Firikos

Need Soil Advice!

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:02 am

So I captured a queen ant a week ago and I have it in a makeshift tube atm, but of course I want to buy a formicarium. I am considering an ant tower (along with a test tube for the first weeks/months), but I do not know what soil to use. Can I just use garden soil? (I have a lot because of my garden), or do I need to get a mixture of certain materials? Please respond, even if you're not sure! Any suggestions will help A LOT!

P.S. If you have a good suggestions for another kind of formicarium please comment it!

Haze809

Re: Need Soil Advice!

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, i'd suggest you go to a pet store and buy "critter soil" as many of them are already pre-mixed with coconut huff (helps with mold) and you wont risk bringing in bacteria or other organisms from your garden. My ants are thriving on it.

Firikos

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:03 pm

So uh I searched for this "critter soil" and I can't find it. I'm not living in england/USA so it's propably not named like that. I'll keep searching, thanks for the suggestion!

antsRlife

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:10 pm

You could also make your own with coconut husks, charcoal, and sand. That's what I use and early nests love it.
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)