Beginner keeper needing help finding queens

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

vampyrerain

Beginner keeper needing help finding queens

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:36 pm

https://imgur.com/a/zc2zd91

This is my haul for today. They all have wings, so I am a little concerned they are male alates or unfertilized queens. My plan is to release them if they haven't shed their wings. The last two pictures are from a huge nest I saw where the workers were transporting eggs...up a tree. Why would they be carrying them up a tree? I found the spot they were carrying them from, there was a leaf with a huge stockpile of of eggs, so I snatched them up. I got two workers in that bunch, one of which is really young I'm guessing because she is kind of translucent. The winged beauty pictured there I'm hoping is the princess, I watched her behavior and she likes to stay at the far end of the tube, and the two workers carried all the eggs to the far end where she (or he?) was.

Can some of you wonderful folks confirm or deny if these are male alates or queens? Is my plan of keep for a bit and release if they haven't shed their wings a sound plan? I don't want to negatively impact the colony. Also why the heck were they carrying eggs up a tree?

NoviceAntKeeper

Re: Beginner keeper needing help finding queens

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 am

I believe #1, #2, and #4th pictures are male slates, those you should probably release. The others are queens. Just because they retain their wings doesn’t mean they aren’t mated, so if they don’t lay eggs in a month or so, they’re probably not fertilized.

vampyrerain

Re: Beginner keeper needing help finding queens

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:09 am

Can I stick them all in a tube together will they kiss and make babies?