Young ant colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Pengu900

Young ant colony

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm

I have a very young Lasius Niger ant colony and I haven't seen them come out of their nest in a few days, I've looked into the nest and they seem alive but they aren't moving around very much, is there any need to worry about this or am I over stressing, this is my first ant colony so I'm not sure about anything. The thing that worries me is that when I see ants like Mikey's they are extremely active. I'd just like to know what normal behaviour for very young ants is.

NKantsalberta

Re: Young ant colony

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:50 pm

That seems completely normal.

Remember that Mikey Bustos keeps tropical ants. They are explosive and extremely active. I have 2 lasius colonies that are 2 years old now with only 10 ish workers, and they still mainly stay in their test tube. They only venture out to feed every few days. They each have very large brood piles this year however. 3 years seems to be the timing for any genus i've kept here in Alberta before any major growth or activity.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Pengu900

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks, that's good to hear, so it'll be about three years before they grow massively? That seems like a long time, their brood pile is quite large, I would expect them to have about thirty ants in two months.

Vincex

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 pm

They should grow rapid enough to be honest I have a colony of lasius and there growing rapidly but it is slow at start cos there needs are less
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

NKantsalberta

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Pengu900 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 am
Thanks, that's good to hear, so it'll be about three years before they grow massively? That seems like a long time, their brood pile is quite large, I would expect them to have about thirty ants in two months.
3 years has been the average time I have experienced before large growth. Obviously it varies by species and how warm / how much they are fed. In my experience, large brood piles only appeared in the 2nd-3rd year of growth in all formica, camponotus and lasius I have kept. there have been a couple with large growth in the 1st year. Keep them around 30 celsius with indirect heat during the day, should speed up the growth period.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts