New ant colony foundation question

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ZstP77

New ant colony foundation question

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi, I have caught a Black Carpenter ant queen with wings and small pavement ant queen that is 2-4 mm long ant queen that still has a wing with about 15-20 eggs. I was wondering if I should feed the pavement ant a small drop of honey, even though she is fully-claustral. I was wondering if I do feed her, what I could use to get a small enough drop not to drown her because she is sooooo small! A toothpick drop is even bigger than she is. Also, I was wondering how long before I should change her test tube because there is a little mold, but not enough for her to move her larva because I tried already getting her to migrate with a light and another test tube, but she refused to move them she just scouted the dark test tube when I took off her cover and put her in light. Then she returned to guard her eggs.Thanks for your time :)
P.S. I was also wondering how many days before I feed the new black carpenter ant queen that is 15-17mm.

Hawkeye

Re: New ant colony foundation question

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:40 am

ZstP77 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm
Hi, I have caught a Black Carpenter ant queen with wings and small pavement ant queen that is 2-4 mm long ant queen that still has a wing with about 15-20 eggs. I was wondering if I should feed the pavement ant a small drop of honey, even though she is fully-claustral. I was wondering if I do feed her, what I could use to get a small enough drop not to drown her because she is sooooo small! A toothpick drop is even bigger than she is. Also, I was wondering how long before I should change her test tube because there is a little mold, but not enough for her to move her larva because I tried already getting her to migrate with a light and another test tube, but she refused to move them she just scouted the dark test tube when I took off her cover and put her in light. Then she returned to guard her eggs.Thanks for your time :)
P.S. I was also wondering how many days before I feed the new black carpenter ant queen that is 15-17mm.
Both species are fully claustral, so strictly speaking you don't need to feed them at all until they have nanitics. You could offer a droplet of honey by using a toothpick.
I wouldn't worry about the mold for now. Ants live underground and are used to dealing with molds etc.
Just keep both of them in the dark and undisturbed for about 3 weeks. It's hard not to check up on them, but they'll be fine.

Hawkeye

Re: New ant colony foundation question

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 am

Btw you might like to join the Camponotus Crew thread if you'd like to exchange experiences with other ant keepers. (See signature)