The cold north

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

argh226

The cold north

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:44 am

Hi,

I'm surprising myself to really like what I see and read about an ants colony and I think into getting this as a project with my kids that appears to be as fascinated as I am. However, its 23rd of September and I really doubt I'll catch anything around at this time of the year. So I got a few questions.

Is there queen that can be catch around in the south part of Québec?

I think I'm safe, but is there anything (around my location) that I SHOULD NOT have since I have kids and a dog? (For example, fire ants is a big no)

Should I have enough for a long while with the 189$ starter kit ?

Thank you!

Antcrisp

Re: The cold north

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:13 am

I would like to know that,but i live on the west of the usa.

Im new to the hobby also but what i have read,you should hold on the kit. Since it takes a while to get a big colony,think you need at least 30 workes before moving them out of the tube.

Batspiderfish

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:23 pm

There will likely be more Myrmica flights, maybe some Lasius, and possibly even Camponotus. Take advantage of humid days, warmer than 21 C.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

argh226

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:There will likely be more Myrmica flights, maybe some Lasius, and possibly even Camponotus. Take advantage of humid days, warmer than 21 C.
Cool!

However is that 21 degres are getting rare by now... :(

Will try to look anyway... we never know!

argh226

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 am

We're on the verge of -1 degrees at night now... And as far as I know we don’t have any winter ants around :P

This will have to wait next year I guess. I sent my boy on a mission to try to find one out, but I don’t think he'll find one...

We'll see...