Florida Nuptial Flights and Species

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

nightxwolf88

Re: Florida Nuptial Flights and Species

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Pogonomyrmex has a strong sting too so careful with those as well as those velvet ants. I think its late for pheidole flights but that would be a good genus.

CaseJ121

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Now that I've done some observation, Solenopsis invicta makes up the majority of the colonies around here. Which is extremely ironic considering they're an imported species!

nightxwolf88

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:17 am

Solenopsis Invicta is very aggressive and their goal is to grow the strongest colony fast and eradicate any competition. I'm pretty sure they run raids on their own species too they are just little beasts. Its no wonder your house is surrounded by them haha.

CaseJ121

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:11 am

Nightxwolf, I know and that's what makes them a pretty interesting species.
I have two queens now! One Solenopsis invicta and one trap-jaw. Trap-jaws are pretty interesting, not only because of their appendages, but because they're a recent addition to North Florida.

Cjc109

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 am

The little black ants are just that "The little black ant" the larger ones with red heads and bodies and a dark gaster are Camponatus either Floridanus or Tortuganus although I have mostly Floridanus on my land. Also, how do you know you caught a queen Trap Jaw? Was she winged when you found her? I found what I hope to be one, but I have a strong feeling that she's actually just a worker. Also, and I'm sure you know this, you can not release your fire ants. They are fucking bastards and my land is free of them and I want it to stay that way. I have more species than i've been able to count on my land all living on each other's borders. Where there's fire ants, there's only fire ants. They raid ant kill everything. The trap jaws are invasive as well and should not be released, but it's not as dire with them as their colonies are only about 200 strong and they aren't as aggressive in raids.

Nylanderiavividula

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 am

No need for explicit language on a kid-friendly forum... We have fire ants here in Georgia (S. invicta) and they are a pain, BUT argentine ants have no problems at all pushing them out of their niches. So if you think the fire ants are rough on other species, just wait until you get to meet the mighty argentine hordes.