Tetramorium Nuptial Flight Time

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TheDailyToast

Tetramorium Nuptial Flight Time

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 am

I'm planning on catching some tetramorium queen but I CANNOT find what months anywhere! (I'm trying to find specific to my area because we have late ending Winters that suddenly get really hot) I have found 4 colonies just outside my house, all tetramorium, so I am planning to catch some of their queens.

I am in Washington state.

qwerty264

Re: Tetramorium Nuptial Flight Time

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 am

most alates like being near a source of light. You will just have to wait for their nuptial flight which usually happens in season changes (mostly from winter to spring). There will be more of them in places that are near natural surroundings and greenery. If you spot ant workers around, there is bound to be alates flying around during nuptial flights. Nuptial flights also tend to happen after a very heavy storm. I once visited Europe during their change of season from winter to spring and in the morning, there were hundreds of lasius niger alates covering the ground (i was staying in a hotel that was towards the countryside and was covered in nature). look out for those season changes and sudden heavy storms. Good luck!

TheDailyToast

Re: Tetramorium Nuptial Flight Time

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 am

I was going on a walk near a pond last month and noticed a huge swarm of black carpenter ants, I followed them and they all started mating right in front of my house! I caught one and she is know in a test tube with 5 eggs