Southern California Beginner Queen Help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

GlowsintheDark

Southern California Beginner Queen Help

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 am

Beginner here! looking to catch a queen in Ventura County, California, USA. What species should I start out with and when/where are their nuptial flights? Im a beginner ant keeper with no experience in insect keeping, but I am a zoology student and a fast learner so I am looking for a easy or moderate care requirement. I would super appreciate any advice y'all have!
Thanks,
GlowsintheDark

qwerty264

Re: Southern California Beginner Queen Help

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Ive answered this question in mant posts, but here it goes.

Most of the time, ant species that strictly can only be found in forests, natural surroundings, are usually more sensitive and die more easily when kept as pets. On the other hand, ant that likes to be around your kitchen, lives inside cracks, harsh enviroments, invasive species (not encouraging you to keep ants that are NOT native to your country, dont do that), and are usually found everywhere are the hardy and very suitable for begginers. These are species like lasius niger, yellow crazy ants, pavement ants, ghost ants, and many more. Just be sure to do your research beforehand and make sure you have the correct setup and that you are willing and able to take care of them. As for catching them, most alates like being near a source of light. You will just have to wait for their nuptial flight which usually happens in season changes (mostly from winter to spring). There will be more of them in places that are near natural surroundings and greenery. If you spot ant workers around, there is bound to be alates flying around during nuptial flights. Nuptial flights also tend to happen after a very heavy storm. I once visited Europe during their change of season from winter to spring and in the morning, there were hundreds of lasius niger alates covering the ground (i was staying in a hotel that was towards the countryside and was covered in nature). look out for those season changes and sudden heavy storms. Good luck!

GlowsintheDark

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:59 pm

thank you!!

oreoisakitty

Sun May 03, 2020 10:59 pm

I live in SoCal as well. My boyfriend caught a gorgeous Camponotus Americanus (which is what I belive she is) on April 23rd. She was caught near the border of Mexico so not really sure how much that helps. However, I live in San Diego County, North county area. Last year my boyfriend and I caught a queen late July, sadly she escaped in his apartment. So I think looking in summer will be good, I live in an area pretty far from lots of forests and stuff, found the girl at a pool. So look in your pools and stuff, us Californians don't follow the same rules as other places, we don't get too much rain. Also, always be on the lookout, it's camponotus season right now, but tetramorium is in summer. Have fun and good luck!
Owner of a C. us-ca02

C. us-ca02 Journal: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18096