Starting off in Miami FL

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Lechon

Starting off in Miami FL

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

So im as green as i could possible be when it comes to ant keeping , Ive done some reading and have watched a few videos on how to get started, but am a solid LVL1.

Im seeking advice on how to get my hands on a ant queen where I live in Miami FL . I honestly would be happy in just buying a queen as I'm normally quite occupied and cant imagine I'll be able to free up to much time to wonder around with my eyes glued to the floor looking for ants lol. In any case if worst comes to worst im willing to try and catch one. Only problem i have is im not sure where to start. Particularly i have no idea when queens have there nuptial flights here nor where im most likely to find them. From what I've read there are a few species of ants in Florida, though im interested in the none stinging ants. Caribbean Crazy Ants seems like nice ones to have granted i can find them.

Anyone have advice to point me in the right direction?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Starting off in Miami FL

Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:06 pm

Lechon wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm
So im as green as i could possible be when it comes to ant keeping , Ive done some reading and have watched a few videos on how to get started, but am a solid LVL1.

Im seeking advice on how to get my hands on a ant queen where I live in Miami FL . I honestly would be happy in just buying a queen as I'm normally quite occupied and cant imagine I'll be able to free up to much time to wonder around with my eyes glued to the floor looking for ants lol. In any case if worst comes to worst im willing to try and catch one. Only problem i have is im not sure where to start. Particularly i have no idea when queens have there nuptial flights here nor where im most likely to find them. From what I've read there are a few species of ants in Florida, though im interested in the none stinging ants. Caribbean Crazy Ants seems like nice ones to have granted i can find them.

Anyone have advice to point me in the right direction?
I would suggest a rare Camponotus species, Camponotus planatas, which is one of three polygynos species in the genus Camponotus. They are found in hollow twigs and in rotting wood.

Another GREAT starter species is Lassus neoniger, which fly around Labor Day.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…