I'm new to ant keeping, so can I get some help?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antn00b

I'm new to ant keeping, so can I get some help?

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 am

I live in North Carolina, and I stumbled upon AC on YouTube and was hoping that I wasn't to late after watching there vids, so am I too late? Or can I still catch some late flyers? :?

idahoantgirl

Re: I'm new to ant keeping, so can I get some help?

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 am

basically, yes you are. it is still possible to catch some lasius neoniger queens but for the most part they finished flights around labor day. Sorry! You may check out the gan project to see if there are any queens for sale in your area. don't be sad if you don't find any this year. If yo do catch a lasius neoniger queen, then you would have to wait all winter anyways for her to start laying eggs. so, you might as well just wait till spring to find some queens :) Ou can use the winter to watch all of AntsCanada's instructional videos so that when you do catch a queen, you are prepared.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MCWren

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Antn00b wrote:I live in North Carolina, and I stumbled upon AC on YouTube and was hoping that I wasn't to late after watching there vids, so am I too late? Or can I still catch some late flyers? :?
Wait! There are still ants flying until the end of September! If you still can't manage to catch any queens this year, you have another option. Unfortunately there are no GAN farmers in North Carolina. However, Tar Heel Ants sells ants only to people in North Carolina. Here's a link: https://tarheelants.com/pages/ant-queen-and-colony-adoption

JacobSyndeo

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Don't give up! After weeks of searching and only finding one queen, I was about to give up. But today, I went out to my usual queen-hunting grounds (my local park) one last time… and managed to catch seven!

So whatever you do, don't give up yet! There are still some species making their flights. Just be on the lookout! I made a habit of visiting the park after work. Usually found nothing, but apparently some days, you get really lucky!

(Also, I've heard that some species like to make their flights the day after a rainstorm, and that lines up with my findings today, as it rained pretty hard last night.)

Good luck! If you don't manage to find any, don't forget to check out the GAN (Global Ant Nursery) project:
http://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
It's where people with extra queens and nanitics (the first batch of workers) can be connected to people who want to buy a fledgeling colony. I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard very good things about it!

EDIT: as the others above said, GAN cannot legally bring ants across state lines. But keep on the lookout, maybe someone will make a listing in your state soon!

Anthand1

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:27 pm

AntN00b I have also stumbled across AntsCanada and am quite new to the hobby. Don't give up! Just today I came across a ponera queen and two lasius queens(I think they are lasius anyway, lol :D ).

Martialis

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:47 am

Anthand1 wrote:AntN00b I have also stumbled across AntsCanada and am quite new to the hobby. Don't give up! Just today I came across a ponera queen and two lasius queens(I think they are lasius anyway, lol :D ).
Post them. There's a lot of people who will gladly help you, including myself.
Keeper of

Selliing: