Working scheduler and newbie questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Nineresh

Working scheduler and newbie questions

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:55 am

Hello I've recently found the lovly Youtube channel AntCanada and loved it. The ideas just clicked.

Been thinking now for getting myself into the caretaking and hobbie of a ant farm.

Before I start just buying houseing and supplies I'm wanna ask you experianced keeper some questions I haven't found answers for.

Firstly I live in Sweden and are looking to keep Black Garden Ant (Lasius niger). They live here in Sweden.

Then the biggest question is regarding my work schedular.

I work shift, for now and the foreseeable future, I'm away from my home for a week and home two weeks.
Since I'm not experianced in caretaking procedures I'm not sure of what proper care intervall is? How much you can be away from your colony? Or what steps do you have to take before leaving your colony lets say a week?

This is the big question regarding my decision to get a ant colony.

I really like the challanges that ant keeping gives and the love this creatues deserves.

Thanks for your replies.

nightxwolf88

Re: Working scheduler and newbie questions

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 am

This is a good question as I check my colonies daily. I have only taken short camping trips this year so was only away for 3 days at a time. What I did do is put some extra crickets for food and an extra tube of water so they don't run out. Those are the 2 things you really need to worry about over the week

Batspiderfish

Re: Working scheduler and newbie questions

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:41 am

I know that the creator of an old European forum, called Myrm, served in the navy and was away from his Lasius umbratus colony for months at a time. If you can get somebody to feed and water them every once in a while, like you would with another pet, they should be fine. Ants can also go a while without food, although they need a constant supply of water, which can be administered with a test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.