Hibernation Query - Warm winter

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Diamione

Hibernation Query - Warm winter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:20 pm

So normally where I live, southern Colorado but I'm in the mountains, we get pretty harsh winters and 2 phases of it, typically a cold spell between october-november and a lack of snow/cold in december part of jan and then more snow/cold in feb/march.

My room, where I have my ant, has not ventilation. And usually gets soooo cold that I have to huddle under many blankets, around 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Outside temp woul be between -10 and 0 degrees farenheit.

HOWEVER this year has had an unusually light winter. And the temp in my room has been a pretty stable 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
It was colder for a bit in oct/nov.

I was planning on just not heating my founding queens during the natural cold weather but it's not working out for me.

They also just started laying eggs this month and one Queen even has 3 smol minions running around now.

Should I be concerned and try to winter them still?
If so what would be the best way to do so without setting them outside or in a fridge?
I'm a noob and I don't want to risk loosing them. >__<
Newb Ant Keeper - Attempting to raise:
Harveter Ants (Pogonomyrmex occidentalis) x 2
Pavement Ants(Tetramorium Immigrans) x 22
Field Ants (Formica Pallidefulva) x 11
Sugar Ants (Tapinoma Sessile) mini hybrid nest

AusAnts

Re: Hibernation Query - Warm winter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:39 am

Diamione wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:20 pm
So normally where I live, southern Colorado but I'm in the mountains, we get pretty harsh winters and 2 phases of it, typically a cold spell between october-november and a lack of snow/cold in december part of jan and then more snow/cold in feb/march.

My room, where I have my ant, has not ventilation. And usually gets soooo cold that I have to huddle under many blankets, around 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Outside temp woul be between -10 and 0 degrees farenheit.

HOWEVER this year has had an unusually light winter. And the temp in my room has been a pretty stable 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
It was colder for a bit in oct/nov.

I was planning on just not heating my founding queens during the natural cold weather but it's not working out for me.

They also just started laying eggs this month and one Queen even has 3 smol minions running around now.

Should I be concerned and try to winter them still?
If so what would be the best way to do so without setting them outside or in a fridge?
I'm a noob and I don't want to risk loosing them. >__<
i don't have to hibernate my ants so im no expert. But if she is laying eggs she may possibly be going out of hibernation. id say just let them be at room tempreture for now.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers