Fertile + How Long

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JPSMedeiros

Fertile + How Long

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello, I caught an ant queen with wings, she's now in a test tube, but I don't know if she's fertile or not, so I would like to know how long I have to wait to see some eggs(min ~ max). And If the max period goes by what should I do? leave her where I found her? Thanks for the help, next week I'll post some photos of her so we can try to identify.

Batspiderfish

Re: Fertile + How Long

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Try to get an identification, so we know what she will need to potentially found a colony. I notice that it's not uncommon for tropical queens to keep their wings for a while.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 pm

OK, next week i'll post some photos, thanks!

JPSMedeiros

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:50 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Try to get an identification, so we know what she will need to potentially found a colony. I notice that it's not uncommon for tropical queens to keep their wings for a while.

As you said in the other post Camponotus sp. , so there's something that I should know? Has been a week since I captured her.

Batspiderfish

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 am

She is a fully-claustral species that should be fine left on her own in a test tube setup, until her first workers arrive.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JPSMedeiros

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks, but how long I'll have to wait? Because I don't know if she's fertile since she still have the wings.

MLavers

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 pm

The presence of wings means nothing. Some fertile queens don't remove them until they have workers. Some infertile queens remove them immediately.

According to my reading that I've been doing on the subject, some ant queens will start laying within a few days, and some will wait until after hibernation (not technically called hibernation for ants, but you get the idea) before starting to lay. The best advice I have read is to wait until she either starts laying eggs, or dies. Just stick her test-tube in a closet, and peek in once every week or two.

Canadiananter

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:01 pm

No. Queens with wings seem to have a slightly higher chance of being fertile with the exception of ergatoid reproductives

JPSMedeiros

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:19 pm

She died, I created other topic, sad :cry: