When to move ants in a nest

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AusAnts

When to move ants in a nest

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:56 am

hey.

I got 2 colonies i would like to move into a nest. The nests are about 8cm x 6cm. the first colony is a pheidole sp, They are housed in a test tube with about 20 workers. aprox worker size: 2mm. the other colony is a species i do not know yet. They are about 50 workers strong. aprox worker size: 2mm.

I would like to know if it would be safe to move them into that size nest, and if not when. Another colony i would like to move, but think they do not have enough workers is my opisthopsis sp. The first few nanitics are around 4-5mm and they have about 8 workers.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

DakstoneF

Re: When to move ants in a nest

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm

What kind of nest is it? Sometimes it depends on the type (formicarium / vivarium). Pheiodoles tend to like going into nooks and crannies instead of outright having to nest. So they'll move in more quickly with pre-made nest set-up. With 20 workers it should be fine as long as you make it fit their conditions.

If the nest has the ability to attach a test tube to it, you can always attach them to the new nest and see if they move in over 24 hours or not. (put some food in an outworld/in the nest to see if they start checking it out)

Do you have pis of the unidentified species? At 50 workers they should happily move into most set ups, as they'll feel confident foraging with those numbers.

AusAnts

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:45 pm

DakstoneF wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm
What kind of nest is it? Sometimes it depends on the type (formicarium / vivarium). Pheiodoles tend to like going into nooks and crannies instead of outright having to nest. So they'll move in more quickly with pre-made nest set-up. With 20 workers it should be fine as long as you make it fit their conditions.

If the nest has the ability to attach a test tube to it, you can always attach them to the new nest and see if they move in over 24 hours or not. (put some food in an outworld/in the nest to see if they start checking it out)

Do you have pis of the unidentified species? At 50 workers they should happily move into most set ups, as they'll feel confident foraging with those numbers.
The nests are made from aac/ytong formicarium. I will be going on a 10 day break soon so ill move them in when i come back. The species i have not yet identified is very confident with foraging so it shouldn't be a problem to move them into a nest.

Pics of the ants: https://imgur.com/a/csGB4nu (the last 2 is different species)

DakstoneF

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:17 am

The unidentified ants look KINDA like Aphaenogaster sp.(maybe Aphaenogaster kimberleyensis?) - I could be wrong and that's also assuming you're in Australia. Thanks for posting the pics, what are the ants in the last two? I got excited and thought they were honey pots for a second!

The Pheiodole should do fine. If you have the time, maybe make sure they move in okay, if not just plug them into one of the ports on the formicarium and make sure they have the right conditions. With 20 workers they should do fine and not stress out!

AusAnts

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 am

The other species is opisthopsis sp (strobe ants). They are native to Australia and southern parts of Asia. I personally think they are a really cool species. they run around like they are moving a few frames per second and much like the bull ants, they rely a lot more on their vision.

Thanks for the id on the other ant, hopefully it's correct.

AusAnts

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:08 am

i have done some research and found that my undentified species is technomyrmex cedarenisis .