Brazilian beginner - Witch species do you recommend?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Coradello

Brazilian beginner - Witch species do you recommend?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm a brazilian ant lover, and I wish to star a colony, but I can't start with one that grows a lot, like Leafcutter ants, because I don't have so much space for a huge one. So, if you have any suggestions I would be very grateful :D

solenopsisAnt

Re: Brazilian beginner - Witch species do you recommend?

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I am new to ant keeping so I was in the same situation a few mouths ago. I have chosen fire ants but they take up a lot of space and are painful and are not proving to be easy. The other species I was considering was a carpenter ant, also known as the camponotus Ant. But I decided if they got out I would not want them in my walls. If you feel you have a comfortable and reliable setup, I think a carpenter ant colony would be a good choice but I have only kept ants for 4 months and have lost a lot of ants. So not sure if this helps but that’s my opinion. Good luck!