Carebara Diversa Problems/Questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Freaklife

Carebara Diversa Problems/Questions

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 am

Hello dear AntsCanada community

First of all, excuse my poor English.
After years of successful keeping a meanwhile big Messor Barbarus and Lasius Niger colony I fulfilled a dream and bought a 250 ants large Carebara Diversa colony.
I have previously read long reports and posture data, purchased a formicarium and tried to create the perfect environment.
The Formicarium consists of a 3D printed part and a 30x20x20 arena.
The queen also lays brood what you can see in the fact that hundreds/thousands of dead ants were already dead in the arena but the living ants are not anymore.
The temperature is 28 degrees, the humidity is ok, they get enough food.

After a few days the colony moved from the test tube to the 3D nest, but about 3 weeks later back to the test tube where they still live at the moment.
Now I thought maybe it is because of the "not natural environment" ( The 3D Nest ) and wanted to buy another Formicarium in the shop where the ants can dig to build their own nest.
The opinions whether a 3D nest works went out strongly in different reports.
Would you have a tip which formicarium from the AntsCanada shop is best suited? Or other tips what I could improve?

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely
Thomas

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Carebara Diversa Problems/Questions

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:06 pm

Freaklife wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 am
Hello dear AntsCanada community

First of all, excuse my poor English.
After years of successful keeping a meanwhile big Messor Barbarus and Lasius Niger colony I fulfilled a dream and bought a 250 ants large Carebara Diversa colony.
I have previously read long reports and posture data, purchased a formicarium and tried to create the perfect environment.
The Formicarium consists of a 3D printed part and a 30x20x20 arena.
The queen also lays brood what you can see in the fact that hundreds/thousands of dead ants were already dead in the arena but the living ants are not anymore.
The temperature is 28 degrees, the humidity is ok, they get enough food.

After a few days the colony moved from the test tube to the 3D nest, but about 3 weeks later back to the test tube where they still live at the moment.
Now I thought maybe it is because of the "not natural environment" ( The 3D Nest ) and wanted to buy another Formicarium in the shop where the ants can dig to build their own nest.
The opinions whether a 3D nest works went out strongly in different reports.
Would you have a tip which formicarium from the AntsCanada shop is best suited? Or other tips what I could improve?

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely
Thomas
It may be the felt safer in the test tube. Also, Dcolony has a care video on this species.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT ADVERTISEMENT
When you accidentally reply to yourself…