Some n00b questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

LadyManga

Some n00b questions

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 am

Hey y'all,

Just had a couple of questions that I couldn't find quick answers to elsewhere:

How often do ants tend to eat?
I just moved one of my lasius colonies into their new nest after giving them their first sugar meal (some apricot jam), and since they moved in, I haven't seen any activity, even though I've left more jam and a moth above their nesting site, as well as a beetle in their outworld.

Based on what I'm seeing in the other colony's setup - they're still in their test-tube but connected to an outworld, and they were also given their first sugar meal before they were connected to the outworld - it looks like they've holed themselves up in the claustral chamber for a while, and brought in soil from the outworld to block off the entrance to the test tube. They were given a spider and it looks like they weren't interested in that, either. I'm assuming a similar thing is happening in the other colony and it'll just be a while until they venture out to get more food?

Is there such a thing as "too much space" with a new colony? Did I move them into the nest too quickly, or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks everyone.
2 x Lasius niger queens
> Queen Antoinette - claustral stage - ~15 nanitics + brood
> Queen Antonia - claustral stage - ~10 nanitics + brood
1 x Tetramorium caespitum queen
> Queen Antigone - claustral stage - no eggs

SYUTEO

Re: Some n00b questions

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:36 am

How many workers were in the test tube right now?