a parasite on my queen?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Raptorr575

a parasite on my queen?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Hello,
recently (August 24th if my memories are good) I found a queen (possibly a Lasius Niger) in a strange situation where she was trying in vain to remove something on her paw, after a few hours I finally managed to remove this thing and I decided to put the ant in a tube to see how her condition was going, and she laid eggs very quickly!

Every day I saw more and more eggs and I even surprised her laying and carrying her eggs (I think she's very comfortable in this tube)
I decided to keep her but I'm worried about that thing on her leg (even if I took it off easily), I don't have a picture unfortunately but I wanted to ask you if it's possible that something has parasitized my queen.

I apologize in advance for my English I live in France!

Hawkeye

Re: a parasite on my queen?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 am

Raptorr575 wrote:
Hello,
recently (August 24th if my memories are good) I found a queen (possibly a Lasius Niger) in a strange situation where she was trying in vain to remove something on her paw, after a few hours I finally managed to remove this thing and I decided to put the ant in a tube to see how her condition was going, and she laid eggs very quickly!

Every day I saw more and more eggs and I even surprised her laying and carrying her eggs (I think she's very comfortable in this tube)
I decided to keep her but I'm worried about that thing on her leg (even if I took it off easily), I don't have a picture unfortunately but I wanted to ask you if it's possible that something has parasitized my queen.

It was probably a mite, trying to hitch a ride to get to new grounds. Chances are that she hasn't been hurt in any way the mite probably just chose a spot that was annoying her. Just keep an eye on her.

Raptorr575

Re: a parasite on my queen?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:39 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 am
Raptorr575 wrote:
Hello,

It was probably a mite, trying to hitch a ride to get to new grounds. Chances are that she hasn't been hurt in any way the mite probably just chose a spot that was annoying her. Just keep an eye on her.
Thank you for your answer!