Tapinoma Sessile Colony Not Moving To The Nest

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

MrMann

Tapinoma Sessile Colony Not Moving To The Nest

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 pm

In early May, I found what I think is Tapinoma Sessile queen. I'm not worried about identification in this post. I waited until there were about 6 ants in the test tube before moving them into their new home. It took about 2 days until they moved into an area close of where I wanted them to be. They moved into the tube that leads to where I want them to be... See below for what I mean. They sometimes forage but only 1 ant does so (usually). If you guys can explain to me what's going on that would be awesome. Thanks!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN1IvgGU_Kvc_p2WpaQtEhcpDEbTZSjjMU3KrftUXoR3Xwecke-MrIwam9WJ3fzRQ/photo/AF1QipNOM2GlMimiZUXFffQ-0g1X3nskWVLRTkBurtN3?key=U21nb3k0dUVOQWRuNWRaSVVFYlNVUlZrTXZrMkpR
I own and keep what I believe to be a Tapinoma Sessile colony

Hawkeye

Re: Tapinoma Sessile Colony Not Moving To The Nest

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:23 am

MrMann wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:18 pm
In early May, I found what I think is Tapinoma Sessile queen. I'm not worried about identification in this post. I waited until there were about 6 ants in the test tube before moving them into their new home. It took about 2 days until they moved into an area close of where I wanted them to be. They moved into the tube that leads to where I want them to be... See below for what I mean. They sometimes forage but only 1 ant does so (usually). If you guys can explain to me what's going on that would be awesome. Thanks!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN1IvgGU_Kvc_p2WpaQtEhcpDEbTZSjjMU3KrftUXoR3Xwecke-MrIwam9WJ3fzRQ/photo/AF1QipNOM2GlMimiZUXFffQ-0g1X3nskWVLRTkBurtN3?key=U21nb3k0dUVOQWRuNWRaSVVFYlNVUlZrTXZrMkpR
I would say patience is a virtue, you moved them into their new surroundings way too fast. A colony of that size would be very vulnerable in the wild. If they lose just 1 ant, that means a loss of 15 % of the total colony. So just one venturing out to forage (A hazardous task) actually makes sense.
In order to entice them to move, make sure you cover up the spot where you want them to settle and then shine a bright light (like a desk lamp) on the outworld for a couple of hours. The ants will look for a place in the dark, so as long as your outworld doesn't have enough soil for them to dig into, they're likely to retreat into the tube/formicarium.

MrMann

Re: Tapinoma Sessile Colony Not Moving To The Nest

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:23 am

I have been shining a light at them, but they won't budge. I suppose I'll just play the waiting game for now
I own and keep what I believe to be a Tapinoma Sessile colony