New to the forum and the hobby

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

jimbo530

New to the forum and the hobby

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I have always loved watching ants work but have never had an ant colony with a queen, a few as a kid with just workers for a few months at a time. I want to do a good job of caring for the ants but want to work with what i have as much as i can. I only have a limited budget but have a lot of various supplies that will help with that. I have not decided on a species or even know how i will get a queen. I would like a larger species so it is easier to see but would like something that does not hibernate, I have more free time to observe in winter. I also do not want something that has strong bites or stings because I have small children. I live in north west Pennsylvania, I am open to advice and suggestions. i plan to take a 10 gal tank and place it inside a 30 to create more underground space against the glass and to create a central court yard like out world. I plan to use perlite as sub-straight, is there any issue with this for the ants? I also plan to have a few easy to care for succulents inside the enclosure are there any that should be avoided?

Antloverhuman

Re: New to the forum and the hobby

Sun May 28, 2023 12:03 pm

Well you should probably get some camponotus or formica species. Native species will hibernate but you shouldn't keep foreign ants even though they will not hibernate. (There might be some native species that dont hibernate but i guess you could research more ;)
You should have some other things mixed in with the perlite to make the ants have a nicer digging media (you can use horticulture soil). Succulents shouldn't be a problem so you can keep them in
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

antperson24

Sun May 28, 2023 2:09 pm

I would recommend Tetramorium immigrans as they don't hibernate and are easy to care for, but they are a bit small (2-3mm workers). You won't be able to just use perlite, you will need some soil, make sure you research making a terrarium. Also, you won't be able to put them into a terrarium right away, you need to start the queen in a test tube setup, here is a video on making one of those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfzUILyCz8o
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 28, 2023 2:44 pm

jimbo530 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm
I have always loved watching ants work but have never had an ant colony with a queen, a few as a kid with just workers for a few months at a time. I want to do a good job of caring for the ants but want to work with what i have as much as i can. I only have a limited budget but have a lot of various supplies that will help with that. I have not decided on a species or even know how i will get a queen. I would like a larger species so it is easier to see but would like something that does not hibernate, I have more free time to observe in winter. I also do not want something that has strong bites or stings because I have small children. I live in north west Pennsylvania, I am open to advice and suggestions. i plan to take a 10 gal tank and place it inside a 30 to create more underground space against the glass and to create a central court yard like out world. I plan to use perlite as sub-straight, is there any issue with this for the ants? I also plan to have a few easy to care for succulents inside the enclosure are there any that should be avoided?
I would suggest something like Camponotus
When you accidentally reply to yourself…