New queen question

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

emtffkev

New queen question

Fri May 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Hey everyone. New guy and just got my first queen ascot a week ago. I've got a camponotus queen that I checked on yesterday and was happy to see that she's laid about 10 eggs so far. My concern is that she seems to be dragging her gastor or having trouble holding it up. Part of me is thinking that is normal, she does have a pretty big backside after all, but I'm not sure if this should be a cause for concern?

Thanks everyone.
Founding:

3x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Jgibbss

Re: New queen question

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Dont know mght have been injured any white stuff spewing could be internal organs if you have an image insert it ill check or a vid on youtube of her dragging it

emtffkev

Re: New queen question

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:03 am

I'll try to get a pic or video tomorrow when I get home. It doesn't look injured, no guts, she is laying eggs. It almost seems like it's heavy and she's struggling supporting it.
Founding:

3x Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Rowan123

New queen question

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03 pm

So I am going to purchase a labor day ant queen and do any of you have any tips on how to cair for those ants (thanks ,new to ant keeping)