Ant genus for starting

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

JDuke91

Ant genus for starting

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey all I am going to try keeping ants for the first time, I have always wanted to. So before I purchase my setup I have two options in my area that I am interested in, there is a European fire ant colony close by and a carpenter ant colony near by. I only want to start with one but I am having a hard time deciding which one I'd like to start with. I would prefer the fire ants but carpenter ants are so neat. Any advice in the keeping of these two?
Keeper of
Myrmica Rubra Colony

JDuke91

Re: Ant genus for starting

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm

So after spending the whole day doing research I have decided to go with Camponotus ants as my first go. Question though is if I collect several queens for test tube set ups am I able to eventually put them into the same hybrid nest?
Keeper of
Myrmica Rubra Colony

AntsDakota

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am

JDuke91 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm
So after spending the whole day doing research I have decided to go with Camponotus ants as my first go. Question though is if I collect several queens for test tube set ups am I able to eventually put them into the same hybrid nest?
The act of multiple queens founding a colony together is known as polygyny. Camponotus, however, are the opposite- monogynous. Their colonies only tolerate one queen. If two queens come in contact, they will slaughter each other immediately. Yet Myrmica rubra is highly polygynous, and, according to AntsCanada, their nests are very shallow so you could dig up the colony you mentioned and have a high chance of capturing their queen.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JDuke91

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Okay awesome thanka for the reply
Keeper of
Myrmica Rubra Colony