Need some help with first colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ceciljack

Need some help with first colony

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:59 am

I've just started my first colony of common black garden ants and when I recieved the Queen she had around 10 or 15 workers alive the issue seems that the brood seem to of been damaged by the overly moist cotton
The queen and workers have all moved into my fornicarium and are all huddled in a corner of the out world not in the nest and don't seem to of brought the brood with her
Does this mean she will not be able to produce more brood as her existing brood seems to of been unsuccessful
Also is there any way of encouraging the ants to use the nest part of the setup or is it just patience?

Jgibbss

Re: Need some help with first colony

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:50 pm

The queen will always produce eggs Dont worry they need a water source create a new test tube leave it open as there water source they might make theyre own house tho