West Virginia Ant keepers? When to look for queens?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Nubster

West Virginia Ant keepers? When to look for queens?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 pm

I'd like to find a queen to start a colony. I'm in eastern WV...when do the various ant species start to fly? I'm looking to possibly start a carpenter ant colony and/or the black garden ant (Lasius niger). I figure the garden ant would be easy to find under a rock...I see them often in our flower gardens. If all else fails, I'll see about collecting a queen and some workers early in the season before their colony grows from under one of those rocks. Or if there are any other ants that you'd recommend for a beginner that I can collect locally...I'm all ears.

antnest8

Re: West Virginia Ant keepers? When to look for queens?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

I usually find queens by taking a walk on a side walk for about 5 minuets every day (especially after it rains) But for now the first ants to fly will be Prenolepis Imparis and Camponotus Sps.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

BeccaM

Re: West Virginia Ant keepers? When to look for queens?

Wed May 01, 2019 9:32 pm

When is the best time of year to catch queens in WVA/VA? I’m not sure what species I want, probably whatever is most common/easiest to catch. I am looking to start multiple colonies of the same species.