How to feed Semi-Claustral Queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

madmax

How to feed Semi-Claustral Queen

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 am

I have found an Odontomachus queen, which also known as Trapjaw Ants. They r semi-claustral, it means that they need to be fed during their founding stage.

My question is, how often should i fed her? Once a week? or once every 3 days?

I'm afraid that she'll die

JoeHostile1

Re: How to feed Semi-Claustral Queen

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 am

Feed her as much food as she will take as often as she will take it. First put her test tube in a container with a lid. And make her test tube opening smaller because she won’t like a wide open test tube.

You don’t need to worry about over feeding her since youre not shoving the food into her test tube. I usually feed my colonies every two days. But after I feed them I check a couple hours later, if they took all the food I gave them then I give them more. Your queen probably doesn’t need to eat every two days, but I would feed her more than once a week.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

king12345

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 am

Get a tub and place the tube in it. Then open the tube. You can place food in the tub every few days and she will crawl out to eat it.

VERY HELPFUL VID: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edRYbn65Oo

Copy and paste this link to your seach bar.

king12345

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:04 am

Great job finding your odontomachus queen though! Can you send a photo pls? Thx

I might help finding the exact species of the ant.