When Are nuptial Flights?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

impuislupus

When Are nuptial Flights?

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi to all of you

i am new to ant keeping and excited to start, although i am confused currently. I am looking to start a new colony but unaware of when nuptial flights would begin in my area( Reading Pa,USA). What further perplexed me is i found a lonely worker ant( I assume Pavement ant) just 3days ago in my kitchen. An thought he should be hibernating, as current weather is not favorable ie snow/ice with temps ranging 30-50 degrees. So my question is should i begin scouting my nearby creek /woods for my friends or when should i be out and about looking.

Hope To hear From you all soon

Hunter36o

Re: When Are nuptial Flights?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 am

Sorry but I had a big informative message for you but this stupid forum signed me out when I hit send so I am afraid you will have to do with the dulled version.

For an accurate time window for the flights we need to know what species of ants your interest in keeping. This can be done by first looking up what ants are in your area and then deciding which ones you would be comfortable keeping at your level of experience as some ant can be difficult to keep due to their needs. After that you can get almost all the answers you need between here and good old Google.

You can scout ants once the snow/ice clears and the spring weather has kicked in different ant species will slowly begin to emerge.

Best of luck
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.