Got Ants and Questions (beginner)

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

breather

Got Ants and Questions (beginner)

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:34 am

Hi

I bought myself some Lasius Niger and I got them yesterday, 12 Workers and 1 Queen.
I’m a beginner and I need help.

I noticed two things in the test tube, am I correct in thinking the “web” stuff is just debries from the cotton, and is it possible that that those out of focus, white, round things are eggs?

Thanks

breather

Re: Got Ants and Questions (beginner)

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 am

Kdwaine wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:43 am
Yes, you are correct about both.
Thought so, thanks for confirming.

Exciting being a beginner at this. :)

Nylanderiavividula

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:43 am

Super exciting and addictive! I am only a month in and I still have sleepless nights because my brain won’t shut down due to ant-thoughts. The hardest part for newbies like me and you is (from what I gather on here and in formiculture.com) patience!! Do you know if your queen has been fed? It may be that a very small drop of honey water would be beneficial for her and her workers. You may try giving them a very small drop and a very small bug (like a prekilled/slightly mushed termite worker). If you can manage to do this without letting them escape, you may then close the tube back up and keep them in the dark totally unbothered (that’s the hard part) for two weeks.

breather

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 am

Yes, it’s quite exciting.

They are all still in their tube, but the tube is in the outworld which is connected to a nest for when they are ready.

I don’t know if she has eaten, there is water and some dried up crushed insects in the outworld (water in the tube too obviously). I have also put one fat drop of honey righ at the opening of the tube. Havent seen anybody eat from it yet, only workers going to it and back, but no eating. Should honey be diluted somewhat before I gives it to them?

I have put a red plasic film around the outworld, given them “some” darkness.

Maybe I’ll try giving them some of the dried crushed insects directly in the tube...

Nylanderiavividula

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:05 pm

The insects shouldn't be dried. They need to be juicy (a little gross, I know)! And it is easier on the ants if the honey is mixed with water. I would say take a bottle cap and put one drop of water and one drop of honey in it (roughly 1:1 ratio) and stir it with a toothpick. Then get one drop of that mixture and put it where the ants can easily access it.

breather

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Well, I don’t have any “fresh” insects for them. A little too cold for those at the moment. Maybe I’ll see with my local petstore and see if they have anything.

I’ll mix honey and water and give them.

Thanks

JoeHostile1

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am

breather wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 pm
Well, I don’t have any “fresh” insects for them. A little too cold for those at the moment. Maybe I’ll see with my local petstore and see if they have anything.

I’ll mix honey and water and give them.

Thanks
Check pet store for live crickets, buy a bunch then when you get home freeze them. Then you will have a nice supply of food for your ants.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

breather

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 pm

I did check, and they do have crickets and mealworms.

You just freeze them alive and thaw them out in some hot water?

Hunter36o

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 am

Hey, you actually do not need the hot water. For your current colony size a large back leg will do fine and it will break off better from the cricket when it is frozen. Then just let it sit for less then 5 minutes before you give it to your ants and it should be thawed out by then.

Btw, you do not need water and honey mixed for a small colony. Honey water is good for larger colonies so you can give them a large amount mixed with water in a test tube to save any accidental deaths by drowning but a tiny drop of jarred honey will do fine for such a small colony. I feed it to most of my ants and they love it, I'm just testing sugar water on my largest to see what they think of it but honestly o have not spotted them use it yet. But I sleep when they do not so they could be having it.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

breather

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am

Well that makes sense, such small body parts should thaw pretty quickly.
I´we had them for 5-6 days now and they are still in the test-tube, I have given them honeywater and some protein gel right outside the tube, but I have yet to see them eat anything. I know I should be patient and give them space, I just hope they are alright and not traumatized from the transport.

There is some eggs against the cotton, but I don't know if they where there when I got them or if she laid them after she arrived.

I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens.