Small Colony In Canada?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

BarkingPup

Small Colony In Canada?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Are there any native Canadian ants that have permanent small colonies? I don't have much space for huge set ups.

Also, do all Canadian ants require a hibernation period? I've been reading what I can find and it seems they might? Which would suck because I have no way of setting that up ;_;

Hunter36o

Re: Small Colony In Canada?

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am

Start from just a single queen and it will take two years or so to become a "big" colony. Giving you a lot of time to prepare space.

If you hell bent on a small colony I would suggest looking into ant species in Canada that may have gammer gate queen's. These colonies do not go to far past a 100 or 200 workers a nest. They do not have normal queen's like other species and due to their colony ways they actually do not become that big in comparison to ant species with normal queen's because each queen will eventually have competition by future gammer gate queens. I think that also comes with the risk of losing a colony quick if your queen is killed by an unmated gammer gate with no access to an unrelated drone. However if I am not mistaken these types of ants are more difficult to care for and are not beginner class what so ever.

Also for hibernation, set your fridge to about 8 degrees Celsius, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. And job done. Just check on them every couple of weeks.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

joyjoy22

Re: Small Colony In Canada?

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

https://www.AntsCanada.com/

Check out the home page maybe you will be able to find an answer.