Fire Ants in front of my house

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

madmax

Fire Ants in front of my house

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:15 am

So, i found a fire ant nest in front of my house, they live in my flower pot. I'm thinking about to find their queen. But i also think, is that cruel? Cos i have to break their nest if i want to find her

What u guys think? I didnt have any colony n thinking about take them as my first colony.

If it's a bad idea, i ll just wait for the nuptial flight :D

PTasker15

Re: Fire Ants in front of my house

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 am

Fire ants are invasive,and its more rewarding to catch a queen.So wait.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

JoeHostile1

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 am

I think you would be more satisfied with yourself if you found a queen during nuptial flight. Or bought a very small colony so you could watch it grow. Plus if you’re asking if it’s cruel that probably means you already think it is cruel. I don’t know if it’s cruel, but it’s certainly destructive.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Nylanderiavividula

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:33 am

You would probably also find it cruel to put yourself through that. Morally, I don’t find it cruel at all...they are a naturalized invasive (S. invicta, anyway) and they outcompete, kill, and generally displace many of our native species of ants and other arthropods. But after receiving countless stings and staring at thousands of ants, you may well end up unsuccessful at finding the queen anyway (or go cross-eyed in the search process). Solenopsis queens are some of the easiest to find during the mating season and have a wide window of opportunity for finding them. Best to wait (I know it’s tough!).

madmax

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks for all of u guys! Ur responds r helpfull. Actually, i found out their nuptial flight is about a few weeks from now, so ill just wait! :D

Nylanderiavividula

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am

Awesome! Not sure where you are from, but I am from the fall-line area of eastern Georgia. That’s the area right where the piedmont (foothills of the Appalachian Mountains) turns into flat coastal plains. It is a weird place to live because everything is confusing...and frustrating... Soil types are ridiculously variable, temperatures and seasons can’t make up their minds, and local flora/fauna ranges are wonky at best (these euphemisms are to keep from cussing). That being said, I actually saw Solenopsis queens looking for places to go down into concrete a Thursday ago (2/7/2019)! So, for where I’m at, any day now at or over 70F is a day for me to look. Just a heads up!

madmax

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am

Wow! That's nice. I'll keep an eye out. And i'll make sure that i catch them on time.

Hunter36o

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 am

It is good you decided to wait. Taking the idea of it being cruel out of the mix, a well established fire ant colony is not a beginner class colony at all. Their growth rate is unbelievable and to take in a colony already hundreds strong will be a nightmare for you.

Fire ants are not beginner class at all in my opinion but you will have far better chances and a lot more to learn when you catch a queen and raise your colony from there.

Best of luck and please for your own sake make sure you have the correct creams handy at all time as you will get stung. Possibly a lot. And it will hurt. And burn.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.