Help.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antastic

Help.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 pm

So i want to put sand and soil in my homemade Ant nest for my colony . But I'm worried because what if the sand that i will put in my ant nest will have mold in it. And my ants wouldn't stay in the ant nest . :( :? Is it okay just to get some sand and soil and just put it in the ant nest :?: Or i will have to do some important things before i put the sand and soil in to my ant nest. Thanks ! :)

Carl75

Re: Help.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 am

I read that some people bake the sand in the oven as high temperatures kill bacteria etc. Or buy from a pet shop/online.

Antastic

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:41 am

Wouldn't bacteria travels through heat faster :?: :|

Ants4fun

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:48 am

Umm no. That only applies to nonliving things. Enough heat will kill just about everything.

Antastic

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:23 am

Any tutorial about this baking a sand sir ?

Carl75

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:48 am

I haven't seen a video on baking sand, I just read it on another ant forum. Not sure which forum though sorry.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:26 pm

What is your formicarium made of? Is it made of plaster? If so, I wouldn't recommend adding soil or sand. It will speed up molding.

If you're afraid of the soil or sand molding, don't worry as the ants will bury or totally block off the room with the mold. If that does happen just let the mold eat what is decomposing and don't water that area if possible.

If I were you I would use the clean fine sand from arts and crafts shops. You can boil or bake this sand.

Good luck!
Ant Love Forever.

Acorns

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

5 min in microwave 1-2 hour cool down and every living thing that used to be in the sand= DEAD.

Antastic

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 am

Jonathan21700 wrote:You shouldn't worry about that. What do you think ants live in in the wild? You can add a few springtails they are natural decomposers and should take care of mold.
I think there's no springtail here in our country :o But thanks for the tips :D

Antastic

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:06 am

AntsCanada wrote:What is your formicarium made of? Is it made of plaster? If so, I wouldn't recommend adding soil or sand. It will speed up molding.

If you're afraid of the soil or sand molding, don't worry as the ants will bury or totally block off the room with the mold. If that does happen just let the mold eat what is decomposing and don't water that area if possible.

If I were you I would use the clean fine sand from arts and crafts shops. You can boil or bake this sand.

Good luck!

Here in the philippines . I think you can only buy some fine sands in the city . But im in the province . So it could cost me more money. Bot i don't have any. Can i just get some sand or soil in our front yard ? And i don't know bake it ? Is it ok ? Image This is my Formicarium