Help on feeding ants in a test tube!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

MaxWilldernessKids

Help on feeding ants in a test tube!

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:55 pm

I am a brand new ant keeper, and about 6 days ago a caught queen ant. I believe the queen is a black crazy ant (Paratrechina Longicornis). I extracted the queen and 3 workers from a nest under a wood plank, and put them in a classic test tube setup. A few days ago, one of the workers died, but the queen has been laying eggs. I have tried feeding them sugar water, (very sugary) lemonade, and maple syrup (Which I know is not the best for them). For protein I have tried wild caught cockroches and even dry cat food. In all the times i have shown them food, they dont seem to want it. Should I be feeding them at this stage? If yes, then what should I feed them? And how should I feed them? Btw they seem to be drinking water though, i saw one of the workers had his gaster full of what looked like water. All the help is appreciated, thanks!
Attempting: Odontomachus (possibly Brunneus) x1

MattsAnts

Re: Help on feeding ants in a test tube!

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 am

Hi, when my queen had her first set of workers I attached a small out world to the test tube, it was about 6cm x 6cm with a little bit of substrate in there, just let’s them move about a bit more and mine used to use the substrate to block off part of the test tube. That way I can place a small cricket that I cut up so they could get to the juicy parts on the inside and left it for a couple of days and just keeped replacing it and I gave them a drop on honey every few day. You could always try a small bit of cooked chicken my Camponotus colony love it most of the nest comes out when I feed them that, I hope this helps

MaxWilldernessKids

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks! I will definitely try this. I actually have a blue tongue skink (which is a lizard) and she eats chicken, so maybe I can feed a little piece to my ants.

idahoantgirl

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 am

Here is what I suggest you do. Use a one inch section of drinking straw wedged between the side of the tube and the exit cotton to act as a tunnel for your colony. Then place the whole tube in a tupperware container with a barrier. Then feed them in the outworld.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MaxWilldernessKids

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:58 pm

This is my current setup. I put the test tube with the exit cotton removed in a small tupperware container with a baby powder barrier. (Btw i just started it today and the ants seem fine with it. Alteast the queen and 2 workers that i have ;)

idahoantgirl

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

The drinking straw creates a more comfortable tunnel with less wind and light so they are less stressed
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile